View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:44 am

Ummm.....Troy? 

Post Ummm.....Troy?
Troy, I beleive this may be your forum? ;)

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 pm

Post Re: Ummm.....Troy?
Yeeessss?

Eagles...they are just like hawks only larger. They eat bigger things. They are difficult to fly. Harder than a goshawk, easier than a ferrug. Less likely to lash out at you than an accipiter. Easiest birds to step off of kills believe it or not. They catch stuff.

Also, I like red wine, long walks on the beach and I'm particularly fond of the way "Mojito" is spelled for some reason.

Anything else?

-Troy

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:57 am

Wait, wait, wait.....

They're BIGGER than a hawk?? :o

I am going to rethink this whole thing now...

Gary

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:55 am

Troy two questions....One, these long walks on the beach you talk about, where are they in Illinois? Two, during these long walks I suspect you and Gary do hold hands,correct? Mark your calender for the first weekend in December, I'll see you then....Ron

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:03 am

Can't find any documentation on this question...

Concerning Great Horned owl 'natural enemies'... do Goldens prey upon them (hunt, catch, and eat)? Anybody point me to some data or personal communications?

Thx

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:22 am
Profile WWW

Berni,

I have a parallel answer to your question but it isn't about great horned owls, rather it is about Eagle Owls.

Eagle Owls prey upon Golden Eagles. In fact, Kazakhs wear a fox fur hat that has one plume on it of an Eagle Owl to ward off the "evil spirits" of eagle owls. Why are eagle owls evil? Because they've been known to kill Kazakh falconers eagles when left out on blocks overnight and therefore the owls are a bad omen to be warded off.

No idea if Great Horned Owls are predated by eagles but I'd imagine they are an incidental kill on rare occasions just like anything else that flys under an eagle.

Regards,

Troy

Fri May 07, 2010 8:42 pm

so, whats suitable quarry for eagles is this part of the country?.... geese? I worry about my FHH hitting a chihuahua, or any other dog under 15lbs..will an eagle try to hit a large dog? have eagles been flown at ground chucks?... you know... kinda like ferreting, only at a larger scale... RT=Golden eagle, ferret=mini dachshund, rabbit=ground chuck

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi Carlos,

Eagles are suitable for geese and I've caught a fair amount of them. A tiercel golden is not a suitable predator for woodchucks (groundhogs aka marmots). Believe it or not, there is a sufficient layer of fat on a groundhog to prevent a mortal wound from a tiercel golden. (talons not long enough to make a lethal wound through the fat) I've caught groundhogs as incidentals and the bird was bitten severely. Not fun. He was grounded for 2 weeks.

Regards,

Troy

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:24 pm

CHECK this out,SAD http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... le_oneline MAKES ME SICK :? :evil: :twisted: :cry:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Before going into the implications to the wild population of golden eagles by the loss of (3) birds, think about what the story glosses over.

This is a permission slip to have three ACCIDENTAL eagle deaths. While eagles and other birds die in droves due to wind turbines all over America, now we are actually requesting permission slips to kill up to three eagles on one wind farm knowing full well the birds will die with or without the permission slip.

Friends, we are in a time of very big government. This is identical to the idea that we all apply for a permit to have up to 2 car accidents every ten years. Kinda ridiculous, huh?

The last thing is regarding conservation of eagles. I love eagles as much as anyone, maybe more, but we have an irrational infatuation from them in the halls of government. The Golden Eagle is both globally and nationally a species registered as LC (least concern). The idea we are wasting this much energy on a bird in ample numbers because it is "big and beautiful" is bad science.

Just my take.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 pm