View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:39 am

Passed! 

Post Re: Passed!
Are you going to listen to a guy that can't even spell duck tape? The name says it all, you only use that stuff on waterfowl. :D
I do like the live mouse approach, but a word of caution with live prey; birds will sometimes embrace it with their feet. Be prepared to release the jesses, not both since you wouldn't want to loose control of your hawk, but if she wants to gently take it from you, allow it. I have never seen this go wrong, nothing to worry about.
Don't forget to brush your teeth when you are done....she is the animal, you are not. If things go right, you will be able to rinse your mouth without parting your lips. Cool new party trick!

Gary

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 am

You guys are too much! What is it that draws me to sports and activities that are so full of colorful characters? You falconry guys are just like my musky fishing buddies, which tells me that this is gonna be a real fun filled journey! Thanks for the support!

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm

And some of us are a double dose....falconers and musky fisherman. But I'm not much of a musky catcherman. Where do you go? What is your biggest?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Big Congrats to you Todd!!!
You should do just fine with all these expert falconers advice... :o :o :o :lol:

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 am

Hey GaryS,
Been fishing them a long time. Was fortunate enough to catch & release the longest musky in IL which was 54 I also released a 48 on the same water a few years before. I have a little place in northern WI on some musky water and have released a 50 & 51 there also. I just ordered a fly rod and my goal this year is to catch one on the fly. I love fishing for smallies & walleyes too but I'm just addicted to those big toothy fish! I'm sure you understand......

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 am

Todd, I am so jealous of you!!! I caught the musky bug a long time ago. In fact, I used to fish with a lure called a musky bug a lot. I used to write back and forth with Len Hartman until he passed away. I had tried almost everything to catch one of those. My wife and I used to vacation at Cass Lake in Minnesota every year. And about every year I'd spend our vacation trolling and casting for a musky. I'd hate to think how much cash I invested in musky lures, videos, magazines, books and other equipment. Never caught one musky there. Of course since my wife didn't care what she caught she was the musky catcher. She'd catch them on walleye lures and equipment. 48", 36" and a 30"er. We hired Paul Nelson, a local guide one year up there. He took us to Lake Plantangenet, a lake well known for having lots of musky numbers. We caught walleye. I guess the musky with my name on it is just getting bigger out there waiting for me. Only one I ever caught was 14" at Banner Marsh fishing with a Zipper worm for bass.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:40 am

Gary, Some friends of mine think I was born with the lucky horse shoe when it comes to muskies and that may be true. I think some of it is due to the fact that I just keep after them really hard even if Im not seeing fish. It's tough to do especially on new waters or less than ideal conditions. But the rewards can come big and fast. I've heard it said that the secret to musky fishing is to have a strong back and a room temperature IQ so maybe that's why I've had some success! LOL!

It's nice to see there are other musky nuts here on the board besides me & Tim. I'm looking forward to learning falconry from all of you and if I can help anyone with muskies, I will do my best.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:41 pm

I want to catch this to show my friends...

Attachments:
musk.jpg
musk.jpg [ 9.82 KiB | Viewed 4237 times ]

"Just drive down that road, until you get blown up"- Patton
Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Jim, that one has clearly been caught already, that's why there is no water around it. Find a different one. :lol:

Gary

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Big Congratulations and then some Todd :D :) :P :mrgreen: 8-)

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 am