View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:33 am

Best study resources? 

Post Best study resources?
Hello folks, so I'm trying to find helpful study material for the exam. I would love some recommendations to help me prepare.
So far I own or have studied:
- North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks (This is huge--are there chapters I should pay particular attention to?)
- California Hawking Club Apprenticeship Manual and Study Guide
- Modern Apprentice website

Areas I know I need to work on:
- Species ID
- Migration patterns
- Natural Habitats

Anyone know if the exam is staying the same or if they're making a new one because of the new regulations? Wondering how familiar I should be with old regs for test-taking purposes.

Thanks all,
-A

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:48 am

Post Re: Best study resources?
Shame on you... You should be able to pass that test with no problem by now!!!
You should give Brian Clark a call and find out if there is a new test given the New Regs, don't rely on hear say information on that... By doing this you'll have a clear direction in the studying you need to do...
Glad to hear you've been out in the field a couple of times... :D

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:24 pm

A revamping of the test questions was a federal requirement. The test questions were written by Larry Dickerson, the NAFA president. From his list of questions, the states will have to drawn a certain number of them, in numerous categories, plus write (10 if memory serves me) questions that are state rule specific.
Not hearsay information.
What you have studied is a great place to start. Knowledge is never wasted. Unfortunately, we haven't had anybody go through the new test yet. I can say with near certainty that you will take a new test. Fed requirements for federal approval and adoption is that all systems must be in order by Jan 1st. That being said, they will say it is in place and if it isn't, they will stall you from taking it until it is. My opinion.'

Gary

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:40 pm

So what Gary is so eloquently saying is "congratulations, your our test subject" some one has to be first! Good-luck

Brian

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Ava, I have found nothing posted anywhere about a new test so like I said previously give Brian Clark a call and he should be able to answer your questions... ;)

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:56 am

whoa Steve, a new test was being discussed when I took it. Brian Clark even told me that. Gary posted on this thread a revamping of the test was a federal requirement. I think it would be safe to assume that Gary is correct here. There is a new test ready now or Ava is going to be delayed until the test is ready.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 am

Okay good to know. I just printed all 26 pages of new regulations... That'll take some time to study, haha. I won't be able to have a bird for another two years due to going away to school in the fall, which means I have plenty of time to study. Perhaps over this spring break I'll study like a crazy person and try and sneak in a test. If I don't pass, well, I still have plenty of time. Anyone know what sort of changes have been made to the exam?

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Brian, the fact remains nobody here knows if anything has been done with the new test so the best way to find out is call Brian Clark... Just my opinion...

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Test is the still the same. Could be revamped in the future but has not been as of today.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Jason you are right, the test is still the same. They haven't even looked at making a new test and don't know when they will...

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm