View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:54 am

Passed! 

Post Passed!
I took the exam this morning and Brian Clark just called to tell me I passed! Thanks to Jim, Tim & Jason for answering my questions & recommending study resources over the past few weeks.I guess the real learning for me is about to begin!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Post Re: Passed!
Awesome!!! That's one hurdle done.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Good job Todd! Look forward to seeing you progress.

Gary

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Todd Congrats ! and yes the learning does start in the field but I think you have already started seeing that. It never ends either !! why just yesterday Gary M called me to ask me how much scotch tape he should use to keep the hood on his bird. Of course I suggested staples. :o

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 pm

THATS WHAT I AM DOING WRONG! So Max's hood isn't too big, I just need to pull it back and staple it in place! One can learn a great deal off these forums.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 am

Sorry I didn't mention that to you Brian....I figured you had the basics down. Make sure it is a wide crown staple, they don't pull through the leather as easily, preferably stainless steel. You will want to include a good pair of needle nose pliers in your hawking bag for hood removal.

Gary

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 am

Todd-has Tim shared his technique of brood feeding a new passage RT with you? It is where you take a freshly trapped RT and feed it a bit of quail from your lips. It simulates a mother hawk, and the bird will bond with you faster. Pretty awesome stuff! Please have someone video your first brood feeding for us so we can all enjoy it! :lol:

Gary

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:59 am

Yes,please film that.I am very interested in the "bonding"scenerio that this would create.
jim

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 am

Amateurs... :roll:

Staples are a total waste of time. Eventually they will rust through and the hood will fail. Besides, not everyone has access to a stapler.

If the hood the wrong size but you don't want to get rid of it, there are options. If it is too small, cut off the chin strap and cut out the eye panels. It won't stay on as well, but just tell the bird to sit still. If too big, stuff a sock in it as you pop it on the head. Or for a custom fit, fill it with Great Stuff canned foam.

On the other hand if you don't mind tossing it, you can create your own perfect fitting hood. Mix up some flour and water, tear up some newspaper, and while the bird is sleeping (or at least looking the other way) sneak up and quickly, but carefully, place the paper mache mixture. A light hand is important so as not to wake or alert him to the events taking place. If you are short on time, a hair dryer can be used to speed the process. (note: I like to use the Sunday funnies because it seems to keep the bird in a more pleasant mood, actually looking forward to the hood.)

Also, don't neglect background noise. The music you have on while doing this is important. If you want a Dutch hood, be sure to listen to Dutch music. Same goes for Anglo-Indian, Arabian, Turkmenistan, Khan, Kazahk, etc. You can probably find what you need on ITunes. ;)

Good luck...

"Just drive down that road, until you get blown up"- Patton

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 am

Congratulations, Todd!!! Are you sure you want to join this group of guys that give you such bad advice? Scotch tape and staples? Really? Everyone knows duct tape is the way to go. And brood feeding with a bit of quail? C'mon, a live mouse is much better. Just make sure you have a good grip on the base of the mouse's tail with your teeth.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 am