View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:27 am

Quail, Coturnix & others raising them and related 

Post Quail, Coturnix & others raising them and related
GaryS and others interested. Thought I would start a new topic to cover quail. Gary your incubator, I think that was sold by Sears and has a wafer type thermostat in it, there is a bi-metal replacement now that works much better. I took pictures of the different sexes this morning will get them posted here in a few.

Brian

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:50 am

Post Re: Quail, Coturnix & others raising them and related
Thanks, Brian,
Since my incubator is some thirty years old I was wondering about the wafer thermostat. The instructions state it should be changed every year. I emailed the Brower company to see if they still had replacements available, but haven't heard back. Saw some on Ebay though. I'll have to check into the bi-metal that you suggested. Thanks.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:30 am

GaryS even if you decide to use another wafer, check out Amazon.com over eBay. Same item same seller incubatorwarehouse the bi-metal thermostat on eBay is $16.99 on Amazon it is $13.99 all comes down to shipping.
Attachment:
thermo.jpg
thermo.jpg [ 19.96 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 am

On the left is a male, on the right is a female
Attachment:
quail.jpg
quail.jpg [ 199.11 KiB | Viewed 3602 times ]

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:36 am

Hello, Brian,
Thanks for posting the photos of the bi-metal thermostat. I checked Amazon and the Incubatorwarehouse sites. I assume the bi-metal aren't something that needs to be replaced every year like the wafer thermostat. I need to get one.
Thanks for posting the coturnix photos. One good thing about those guys is since they aren't classified as a wild game bird there aren't any DNR restrictions on them. Something to think about while you are raising them as a food source, I noticed on Ebay someone is selling their skins for fishing fly tiers (or falconry lure makers). Thanks, Brian.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:59 am

Ah shi................... You gotta be kidding me! You know how many skins I have thrown away? I never ran across the quail skins being sold, would you have a use for them with your lure making? I'll give them to you. It is easier to skin them for human consumption, and to keep indoor feeding cleaner, than to try and pluck. But I only do that on 6 week old full grown birds. I lived in SE Asia for 4 years, the Coturnix & the eggs are used in a lot of the dishes, great hard boiled, made deviled eggs for Thanksgiving, and tasty pickled. There are health benefits also over chicken eggs. So yes, great bird for an all around food source. The bi-metal thermostat in my one incubator is at least 20 years old and still going strong. They handle incredible amounts of wattage compared to others and not a lot that can go wrong. Best choice in my opinion.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Here is the link to the brown variety. He has another auction for an Italian veriety.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quail-Feathers- ... 485e19acc7

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Sure. I'll make Max a lure.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Hello, Brian,
Well, I stuck a bid on the coturnix skin, but I got outbid. I was the first bidder, but someone else put three other bids on to get over mine. Sold for $3.25 in the end. Wonder how high he would have gone? I stuck the first bid on the Italian coturnix too, but I didn't check what that went for.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Morning GaryS, woke up this morning slapping my forehead, there is a game farm a town over if your needing bird skins other than Coturnix quail. I could place an order, skin them and salt them down, ship them to you. I'll keep the meat. Have you decided what hawk/falcon your going to be looking for? I was in contact with a person who had a Gyr/Saker looks like it might still be available.

Brian

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:58 am